+ Reply to Thread
    teletel is offline Uncommon

Default How many lands should I put in a 60 card MTG deck?

Whats the best number of lands to put in a Magic: The Gathering deck of 60 cards?

klicker is offline Super Moderator

As a rule of thumb, you should have one third of the deck as land. So for a 60 card deck, 20 would be a good number to use.

If you have too many lands you'll get stuck many times with too much lands and nothing to use the mana with (I hate it when it happens) and if you have too few lands you'll have lots of spells in your hand but will never be able to cast them and you'll end up discarding all the time (hate it when this happens too).

So yea 20 lands is a good number in a 60 card deck.

For some decks, you can use a bit more or a bit less depending on the deck. Like for example for a green deck with many smal creatures of which some of them produce mana themselves (such as Llanowar Elves or BOPs) you can use a little less lands, maybe 18, but for decks that rely on heavy spells and lots of damage which you want to be able to cast as fast as possible, you should use a couple more lands, like 22. With experience you'll learn the right amount to use in every deck.

But yeah if in doubt, just put 20 lands.

Rofellos is offline Common

I usually put a bit more than 20 lands, like 22 or even 24, to be on the safe side. I think it's better to have slightly more lands than be stuck with less.

But yeah like Klicker said it can often depend on the deck. Still I would recommend a bit more than 20 especially if you are just starting, 22 to 24

CastleKing is offline Uncommon

A good way to find out the optimal number of lands for a deck is to experiment. For example, first try putting 22 lands in the deck, shuffle, deal yourself and draw cards as if playing a regular game, cast your spells, etc. Do it many times for consistency. See what happens- did you find yourself overall with too many lands and not enough spells? Then decrease the amount of lands and put more spells. Or did you find yourself with many spells but no lands- if so put some more lands. Repeat the process until you are satisfied with what you are drawing

Werewolf is offline Common

Lich is offline Uncommon

Default Re: How many lands should I put in a 60 card MTG deck?

WIth a lot of experience you will get to learn exactly how much mana is right for a deck.

Without experience, just use 23

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Guy playing a White Weenie deck only had 16 lands last night and was killing people with a max of three lands out........

He was experienced and knew what to play when so didn't need alot of mana though I don't think the deck required it.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

I think i have 14 plains and 3 quicksand in my white weenie... it's a bit off, but it works!!!

It really depends on what the deck needs to do. I use 23 as a starting point, but a few of my decks dip down to 20.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

It depends on where your important spells are. For most decks, the most important spells are around the four mana mark - in that case, the best option is 40% of the deck - in a 60 card deck, that's 24 lands.

Don't go down to 20. Never go down to 20. Don't make me bust out the proof, cause I'll do it.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

I'm not disagreeing with you, but do it!!! BUST OUT THE PROOF!!!

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Very well. But don't say I didn't warn you.

I could go on like this, but I probably shouldn't.

These are professional tournament players, people. Now I'm not a tournament player - I never have been and I never will be. But these people know what they're doing. With those sorts of prizes up from grabs, they always optimize their chances at winning - they use 24 lands. Even with curves that top out at 3 or 4. 24 lands.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Though I understand what you mean, I can't use these links. I'm at school and our firewall doesn't allow many websites. I'm lucky to get the mtg websites that I do.